New! Plugin Severity Now Using CVSS v3
The calculated severity for Plugins has been updated to use CVSS v3 by default. Plugins that do not have a CVSS v3 score will fall back to CVSS v2 for calculating severity. Severity display preferences can be toggled in the settings dropdown.
SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe remote SUSE Linux SUSE15 host has packages installed that are affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the openSUSE-SU-2021:3179-1 advisory.
- An issue was discovered in the Linux kernel through 5.6.11. sg_write lacks an sg_remove_request call in a certain failure case, aka CID-83c6f2390040. (CVE-2020-12770)
- In the Linux kernel through 5.13.7, an unprivileged BPF program can obtain sensitive information from kernel memory via a Speculative Store Bypass side-channel attack because the protection mechanism neglects the possibility of uninitialized memory locations on the BPF stack. (CVE-2021-34556)
- In the Linux kernel through 5.13.7, an unprivileged BPF program can obtain sensitive information from kernel memory via a Speculative Store Bypass side-channel attack because a certain preempting store operation does not necessarily occur before a store operation that has an attacker-controlled value.
- kernel: SVM nested virtualization issue in KVM (AVIC support) (CVE-2021-3653)
- A flaw was found in the KVM's AMD code for supporting SVM nested virtualization. The flaw occurs when processing the VMCB (virtual machine control block) provided by the L1 guest to spawn/handle a nested guest (L2). Due to improper validation of the int_ctl field, this issue could allow a malicious L1 to enable AVIC support (Advanced Virtual Interrupt Controller) for the L2 guest. As a result, the L2 guest would be allowed to read/write physical pages of the host, resulting in a crash of the entire system, leak of sensitive data or potential guest-to-host escape. (CVE-2021-3653) (CVE-2021-3656, CVE-2021-3732, CVE-2021-3753)
- A lack of CPU resource in the Linux kernel tracing module functionality in versions prior to 5.14-rc3 was found in the way user uses trace ring buffer in a specific way. Only privileged local users (with CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability) could use this flaw to starve the resources causing denial of service.
- ** DISPUTED ** In drivers/char/virtio_console.c in the Linux kernel before 5.13.4, data corruption or loss can be triggered by an untrusted device that supplies a buf->len value exceeding the buffer size. NOTE:
the vendor indicates that the cited data corruption is not a vulnerability in any existing use case; the length validation was added solely for robustness in the face of anomalous host OS behavior.
- In kernel/bpf/hashtab.c in the Linux kernel through 5.13.8, there is an integer overflow and out-of-bounds write when many elements are placed in a single bucket. NOTE: exploitation might be impractical without the CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability. (CVE-2021-38166)
- arch/x86/kvm/mmu/paging_tmpl.h in the Linux kernel before 5.12.11 incorrectly computes the access permissions of a shadow page, leading to a missing guest protection page fault. (CVE-2021-38198)
- drivers/usb/host/max3421-hcd.c in the Linux kernel before 5.13.6 allows physically proximate attackers to cause a denial of service (use-after-free and panic) by removing a MAX-3421 USB device in certain situations. (CVE-2021-38204)
- drivers/net/ethernet/xilinx/xilinx_emaclite.c in the Linux kernel before 5.13.3 makes it easier for attackers to defeat an ASLR protection mechanism because it prints a kernel pointer (i.e., the real IOMEM pointer). (CVE-2021-38205)
- The mac80211 subsystem in the Linux kernel before 5.12.13, when a device supporting only 5 GHz is used, allows attackers to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference in the radiotap parser) by injecting a frame with 802.11a rates. (CVE-2021-38206)
- drivers/net/ethernet/xilinx/ll_temac_main.c in the Linux kernel before 5.12.13 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (buffer overflow and lockup) by sending heavy network traffic for about ten minutes. (CVE-2021-38207)
- net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_standalone.c in the Linux kernel before 5.12.2 allows observation of changes in any net namespace because these changes are leaked into all other net namespaces. This is related to the NF_SYSCTL_CT_MAX, NF_SYSCTL_CT_EXPECT_MAX, and NF_SYSCTL_CT_BUCKETS sysctls. (CVE-2021-38209)
Note that Nessus has not tested for this issue but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.