SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe remote SUSE Linux SLES15 host has packages installed that are affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the SUSE-SU-2021:2408-1 advisory.
- A heap out-of-bounds write affecting Linux since v2.6.19-rc1 was discovered in net/netfilter/x_tables.c.
This allows an attacker to gain privileges or cause a DoS (via heap memory corruption) through user name space (CVE-2021-22555)
- fs/seq_file.c in the Linux kernel 3.16 through 5.13.x before 5.13.4 does not properly restrict seq buffer allocations, leading to an integer overflow, an Out-of-bounds Write, and escalation to root by an unprivileged user, aka CID-8cae8cd89f05. (CVE-2021-33909)
- kernel/module.c in the Linux kernel before 5.12.14 mishandles Signature Verification, aka CID-0c18f29aae7c. Without CONFIG_MODULE_SIG, verification that a kernel module is signed, for loading via init_module, does not occur for a module.sig_enforce=1 command-line argument. (CVE-2021-35039)
- To fix this vulnerability, update the affected packages: linux linux-esx (CVE-2021-3609)
- An out-of-bounds memory write flaw was found in the Linux kernel's joystick devices subsystem in versions before 5.9-rc1, in the way the user calls ioctl JSIOCSBTNMAP. This flaw allows a local user to crash the system or possibly escalate their privileges on the system. The highest threat from this vulnerability is to confidentiality, integrity, as well as system availability. (CVE-2021-3612)
Note that Nessus has not tested for this issue but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.
File Name: suse_SU-2021-2408-1.nasl
Supported Sensors: Nessus Agent
Temporal Vector: E:H/RL:OF/RC:C
Temporal Vector: E:H/RL:O/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-azure, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-azure-devel, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-devel-azure, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-source-azure, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-syms-azure, cpe:/o:novell:suse_linux:15
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/cpu, Host/SuSE/release, Host/SuSE/rpm-list
Exploit Ease: Exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 7/20/2021
Vulnerability Publication Date: 4/20/2021
Metasploit (Netfilter x_tables Heap OOB Write Privilege Escalation)