FreeBSD : bro -- array bounds and potential DOS issues (d0be41fe-2a20-4633-b057-4e8b25c41780)
High Nessus Plugin ID 112187
SynopsisThe remote FreeBSD host is missing a security-related update.
DescriptionCorelight reports :
Bro 2.5.5 primarily addresses security issues :
- Fix array bounds checking in BinPAC: for arrays that are fields within a record, the bounds check was based on a pointer to the start of the record rather than the start of the array field, potentially resulting in a buffer over-read.
- Fix SMTP command string comparisons: the number of bytes compared was based on the user-supplied string length and can lead to incorrect matches. e.g. giving a command of 'X' incorrectly matched 'X-ANONYMOUSTLS' (and an empty commands match anything).
Address potential vectors for Denial of Service :
- 'Weird' events are now generally suppressed/sampled by default according to some tunable parameters.
- Improved handling of empty lines in several text protocol analyzers that can cause performance issues when seen in long sequences.
- Add `smtp_excessive_pending_cmds' weird which serves as a notification for when the 'pending command' queue has reached an upper limit and been cleared to prevent one from attempting to slowly exhaust memory.
SolutionUpdate the affected package.