openSUSE Security Update : bouncycastle (openSUSE-2018-628)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 110530
SynopsisThe remote openSUSE host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThis update for bouncycastle to version 1.59 fixes the following issues :
These security issues were fixed :
- CVE-2017-13098: BouncyCastle, when configured to use the JCE (Java Cryptography Extension) for cryptographic functions, provided a weak Bleichenbacher oracle when any TLS cipher suite using RSA key exchange was negotiated. An attacker can recover the private key from a vulnerable application. This vulnerability is referred to as 'ROBOT' (bsc#1072697).
- CVE-2016-1000338: Ensure full validation of ASN.1 encoding of signature on verification. It was possible to inject extra elements in the sequence making up the signature and still have it validate, which in some cases may have allowed the introduction of 'invisible' data into a signed structure (bsc#1095722).
- CVE-2016-1000339: Prevent AESEngine key information leak via lookup table accesses (boo#1095853).
- CVE-2016-1000340: Preventcarry propagation bugs in the implementation of squaring for several raw math classes (boo#1095854).
- CVE-2016-1000341: Fix DSA signature generation vulnerability to timing attack (boo#1095852).
- CVE-2016-1000341: DSA signature generation was vulnerable to timing attack. Where timings can be closely observed for the generation of signatures may have allowed an attacker to gain information about the signature's k value and ultimately the private value as well (bsc#1095852).
- CVE-2016-1000342: Ensure that ECDSA does fully validate ASN.1 encoding of signature on verification. It was possible to inject extra elements in the sequence making up the signature and still have it validate, which in some cases may have allowed the introduction of 'invisible' data into a signed structure (bsc#1095850).
- CVE-2016-1000343: Prevent weak default settings for private DSA key pair generation (boo#1095849).
- CVE-2016-1000344: Removed DHIES from the provider to disable the unsafe usage of ECB mode (boo#1096026).
- CVE-2016-1000345: The DHIES/ECIES CBC mode was vulnerable to padding oracle attack. In an environment where timings can be easily observed, it was possible with enough observations to identify when the decryption is failing due to padding (bsc#1096025).
- CVE-2016-1000346: The other party DH public key was not fully validated. This could have caused issues as invalid keys could be used to reveal details about the other party's private key where static Diffie-Hellman is in use (bsc#1096024).
- CVE-2016-1000352: Remove ECIES from the provider to disable the unsafe usage of ECB mode (boo#1096022).
SolutionUpdate the affected bouncycastle packages.