New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 8.9
SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThis update for xen fixes several issues. These security issues were fixed :
- CVE-2018-8897: Prevent mishandling of debug exceptions on x86 (XSA-260, bsc#1090820)
- Handle HPET timers in IO-APIC mode correctly to prevent malicious or buggy HVM guests from causing a hypervisor crash or potentially privilege escalation/information leaks (XSA-261, bsc#1090822)
- Prevent unbounded loop, induced by qemu allowing an attacker to permanently keep a physical CPU core busy (XSA-262, bsc#1090823)
- CVE-2018-10472: x86 HVM guest OS users (in certain configurations) were able to read arbitrary dom0 files via QMP live insertion of a CDROM, in conjunction with specifying the target file as the backing file of a snapshot (bsc#1089152).
- CVE-2018-10471: x86 PV guest OS users were able to cause a denial of service (out-of-bounds zero write and hypervisor crash) via unexpected INT 80 processing, because of an incorrect fix for CVE-2017-5754 (bsc#1089635).
- CVE-2018-7550: The load_multiboot function allowed local guest OS users to execute arbitrary code on the host via a mh_load_end_addr value greater than mh_bss_end_addr, which triggers an out-of-bounds read or write memory access (bsc#1083292).
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use the SUSE recommended installation methods like YaST online_update or 'zypper patch'.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11-SP3-LTSS:zypper in -t patch slessp3-xen-13595=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Sale 11-SP3:zypper in -t patch sleposp3-xen-13595=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Debuginfo 11-SP3:zypper in -t patch dbgsp3-xen-13595=1