SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThis update for xen fixes several issues. These security issues were fixed :
- CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5715, CVE-2017-5754: Prevent information leaks via side effects of speculative execution, aka 'Spectre' and 'Meltdown' attacks (bsc#1074562, bsc#1068032)
- CVE-2018-5683: The vga_draw_text function allowed local OS guest privileged users to cause a denial of service (out-of-bounds read and QEMU process crash) by leveraging improper memory address validation (bsc#1076116).
- CVE-2017-18030: The cirrus_invalidate_region function allowed local OS guest privileged users to cause a denial of service (out-of-bounds array access and QEMU process crash) via vectors related to negative pitch (bsc#1076180).
- CVE-2017-15595: x86 PV guest OS users were able to cause a DoS (unbounded recursion, stack consumption, and hypervisor crash) or possibly gain privileges via crafted page-table stacking (bsc#1061081)
- CVE-2017-17566: Prevent PV guest OS users to cause a denial of service (host OS crash) or gain host OS privileges in shadow mode by mapping a certain auxiliary page (bsc#1070158).
- CVE-2017-17563: Prevent guest OS users to cause a denial of service (host OS crash) or gain host OS privileges by leveraging an incorrect mask for reference-count overflow checking in shadow mode (bsc#1070159).
- CVE-2017-17564: Prevent guest OS users to cause a denial of service (host OS crash) or gain host OS privileges by leveraging incorrect error handling for reference counting in shadow mode (bsc#1070160).
- CVE-2017-17565: Prevent PV guest OS users to cause a denial of service (host OS crash) if shadow mode and log-dirty mode are in place, because of an incorrect assertion related to M2P (bsc#1070163).
- Added missing intermediate preemption checks for guest requesting removal of memory. This allowed malicious guest administrator to cause denial of service due to the high cost of this operation (bsc#1080635).
- Because of XEN not returning the proper error messages when transitioning grant tables from v2 to v1 a malicious guest was able to cause DoS or potentially allowed for privilege escalation as well as information leaks (bsc#1080662).
- CVE-2017-5898: The CCID Card device emulator support was vulnerable to an integer overflow flaw allowing a privileged user to crash the Qemu process on the host resulting in DoS (bsc#1024307)
- Unprivileged domains could have issued well-timed writes to xenstore which conflict with transactions to stall progress of the control domain or driver domain, possibly leading to DoS (bsc#1030144, XSA-206).
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use YaST online_update.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11-SP3-LTSS:zypper in -t patch slessp3-xen-13511=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Sale 11-SP3:zypper in -t patch sleposp3-xen-13511=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Debuginfo 11-SP3:zypper in -t patch dbgsp3-xen-13511=1
To bring your system up-to-date, use 'zypper patch'.
File Name: suse_SU-2018-0678-1.nasl
Supported Sensors: Frictionless Assessment AWS, Frictionless Assessment Azure, Frictionless Assessment Agent, Nessus Agent, Agentless Assessment
Temporal Vector: CVSS:3.0/E:H/RL:O/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:xen, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:xen-doc-html, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:xen-doc-pdf, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:xen-kmp-default, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:xen-kmp-pae, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:xen-libs, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:xen-tools, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:xen-tools-domu, cpe:/o:novell:suse_linux:11
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/cpu, Host/SuSE/release, Host/SuSE/rpm-list
Exploit Ease: Exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 3/14/2018
Vulnerability Publication Date: 3/15/2017
CVE: CVE-2017-11334, CVE-2017-15595, CVE-2017-17563, CVE-2017-17564, CVE-2017-17565, CVE-2017-17566, CVE-2017-18030, CVE-2017-5715, CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5754, CVE-2017-5898, CVE-2018-5683, CVE-2018-7540, CVE-2018-7541
IAVA: 2018-A-0019, 2018-A-0020