SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 SP2 kernel was updated to 4.4.114 to receive various security and bugfixes. The following security bugs were fixed :
- CVE-2017-5715: Systems with microprocessors utilizing speculative execution and indirect branch prediction may allow unauthorized disclosure of information to an attacker with local user access via a side-channel analysis (bnc#1068032). The previous fix using CPU Microcode has been complemented by building the Linux Kernel with return trampolines aka 'retpolines'.
- CVE-2017-15129: A use-after-free vulnerability was found in network namespaces code affecting the Linux kernel The function get_net_ns_by_id() in net/core/net_namespace.c did not check for the net::count value after it has found a peer network in netns_ids idr, which could lead to double free and memory corruption. This vulnerability could allow an unprivileged local user to induce kernel memory corruption on the system, leading to a crash. Due to the nature of the flaw, privilege escalation cannot be fully ruled out, although it is thought to be unlikely (bnc#1074839).
- CVE-2017-17712: The raw_sendmsg() function in net/ipv4/raw.c in the Linux kernel has a race condition in inet->hdrincl that leads to uninitialized stack pointer usage; this allowed a local user to execute code and gain privileges (bnc#1073229).
- CVE-2017-17862: kernel/bpf/verifier.c in the Linux kernel ignored unreachable code, even though it would still be processed by JIT compilers. This behavior, also considered an improper branch-pruning logic issue, could possibly be used by local users for denial of service (bnc#1073928).
- CVE-2017-17864: kernel/bpf/verifier.c in the Linux kernel mishandled states_equal comparisons between the pointer data type and the UNKNOWN_VALUE data type, which allowed local users to obtain potentially sensitive address information, aka a 'pointer leak (bnc#1073928).
- CVE-2017-18017: The tcpmss_mangle_packet function in net/netfilter/xt_TCPMSS.c in the Linux kernel allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (use-after-free and memory corruption) or possibly have unspecified other impact by leveraging the presence of xt_TCPMSS in an iptables action (bnc#1074488).
- CVE-2018-1000004: In the Linux kernel a race condition vulnerability existed in the sound system, this can lead to a deadlock and denial of service condition (bnc#1076017).
- CVE-2018-5332: In the Linux kernel the rds_message_alloc_sgs() function did not validate a value that is used during DMA page allocation, leading to a heap-based out-of-bounds write (related to the rds_rdma_extra_size function in net/rds/rdma.c) (bnc#1075621).
- CVE-2018-5333: In the Linux kernel the rds_cmsg_atomic function in net/rds/rdma.c mishandled cases where page pinning fails or an invalid address is supplied, leading to an rds_atomic_free_op NULL pointer dereference (bnc#1075617).
The update package also includes non-security fixes. See advisory for details.
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use YaST online_update.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Workstation Extension 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-WE-12-SP2-2018-285=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SDK-12-SP2-2018-285=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for Raspberry Pi 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-RPI-12-SP2-2018-285=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP2-2018-285=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Live Patching 12:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-Live-Patching-12-2018-285=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-HA-12-SP2-2018-285=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-DESKTOP-12-SP2-2018-285=1
OpenStack Cloud Magnum Orchestration 7:zypper in -t patch SUSE-OpenStack-Cloud-Magnum-Orchestration-7-2018-285=1
To bring your system up-to-date, use 'zypper patch'.