SUSE SLED12 / SLES12 Security Update : xen (SUSE-SU-2017:3178-1)
High Nessus Plugin ID 104992
SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThis update for xen to version 4.7.4 (bsc#1027519) fixes several issues. This new feature was added :
- Support migration of HVM domains larger than 1 TB These security issues were fixed :
- bsc#1068187: Failure to recognize errors in the Populate on Demand (PoD) code allowed for DoS (XSA-246)
- bsc#1068191: Missing p2m error checking in PoD code allowed unprivileged guests to retain a writable mapping of freed memory leading to information leaks, privilege escalation or DoS (XSA-247).
- CVE-2017-15289: The mode4and5 write functions allowed local OS guest privileged users to cause a denial of service (out-of-bounds write access and Qemu process crash) via vectors related to dst calculation (bsc#1063123)
- CVE-2017-15597: A grant copy operation being done on a grant of a dying domain allowed a malicious guest administrator to corrupt hypervisor memory, allowing for DoS or potentially privilege escalation and information leaks (bsc#1061075).
The update package also includes non-security fixes. See advisory for details.
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use YaST online_update.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SDK-12-SP2-2017-1987=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP2-2017-1987=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-DESKTOP-12-SP2-2017-1987=1
To bring your system up-to-date, use 'zypper patch'.