openSUSE Security Update : file (openSUSE-2017-1298)
High Nessus Plugin ID 104764
SynopsisThe remote openSUSE host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThe GNU file utility was updated to version 5.22.
Security issues fixed :
- CVE-2014-9621: The ELF parser in file allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service via a long string. (bsc#913650)
- CVE-2014-9620: The ELF parser in file allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service via a large number of notes. (bsc#913651)
- CVE-2014-9653: readelf.c in file did not consider that pread calls sometimes read only a subset of the available data, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (uninitialized memory access) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a crafted ELF file. (bsc#917152)
- CVE-2014-8116: The ELF parser (readelf.c) in file allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (CPU consumption or crash) via a large number of (1) program or (2) section headers or (3) invalid capabilities. (bsc#910253)
- CVE-2014-8117: softmagic.c in file did not properly limit recursion, which allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (CPU consumption or crash) via unspecified vectors. (bsc#910253)
Version update to file version 5.22
- add indirect relative for TIFF/Exif
- restructure elf note printing to avoid repeated messages
- add note limit, suggested by Alexander Cherepanov
- Bail out on partial pread()'s (Alexander Cherepanov)
- Fix incorrect bounds check in file_printable (Alexander Cherepanov)
- PR/405: ignore SIGPIPE from uncompress programs
- change printable -> file_printable and use it in more places for safety
- in ELF, instead of '(uses dynamic libraries)' when PT_INTERP is present print the interpreter name.
Version update to file version 5.21
- there was an incorrect free in magic_load_buffers()
- there was an out of bounds read for some pascal strings
- there was a memory leak in magic lists
- don't interpret strings printed from files using the current locale, convert them to ascii format first.
- there was an out of bounds read in elf note reads
Update to file version 5.20
- recognize encrypted CDF documents
- add magic_load_buffers from Brooks Davis
- add thumbs.db support
Additional non-security bug fixes :
- Fixed a memory corruption during rpmbuild (bsc#1063269)
- Backport of a fix for an increased printable string length as found in file 5.30 (bsc#996511)
- file command throws 'Composite Document File V2 Document, corrupt: Can't read SSAT' error against excel 97/2003 file format. (bsc#1009966)
This update was imported from the SUSE:SLE-12:Update update project.
SolutionUpdate the affected file packages.