New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 4.2
SynopsisThe remote openSUSE host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThe GNU file utility was updated to version 5.22.
Security issues fixed :
- CVE-2014-9621: The ELF parser in file allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service via a long string. (bsc#913650)
- CVE-2014-9620: The ELF parser in file allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service via a large number of notes. (bsc#913651)
- CVE-2014-9653: readelf.c in file did not consider that pread calls sometimes read only a subset of the available data, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (uninitialized memory access) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a crafted ELF file. (bsc#917152)
- CVE-2014-8116: The ELF parser (readelf.c) in file allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (CPU consumption or crash) via a large number of (1) program or (2) section headers or (3) invalid capabilities. (bsc#910253)
- CVE-2014-8117: softmagic.c in file did not properly limit recursion, which allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (CPU consumption or crash) via unspecified vectors. (bsc#910253)
Version update to file version 5.22
- add indirect relative for TIFF/Exif
- restructure elf note printing to avoid repeated messages
- add note limit, suggested by Alexander Cherepanov
- Bail out on partial pread()'s (Alexander Cherepanov)
- Fix incorrect bounds check in file_printable (Alexander Cherepanov)
- PR/405: ignore SIGPIPE from uncompress programs
- change printable -> file_printable and use it in more places for safety
- in ELF, instead of '(uses dynamic libraries)' when PT_INTERP is present print the interpreter name.
Version update to file version 5.21
- there was an incorrect free in magic_load_buffers()
- there was an out of bounds read for some pascal strings
- there was a memory leak in magic lists
- don't interpret strings printed from files using the current locale, convert them to ascii format first.
- there was an out of bounds read in elf note reads
Update to file version 5.20
- recognize encrypted CDF documents
- add magic_load_buffers from Brooks Davis
- add thumbs.db support
Additional non-security bug fixes :
- Fixed a memory corruption during rpmbuild (bsc#1063269)
- Backport of a fix for an increased printable string length as found in file 5.30 (bsc#996511)
- file command throws 'Composite Document File V2 Document, corrupt: Can't read SSAT' error against excel 97/2003 file format. (bsc#1009966)
This update was imported from the SUSE:SLE-12:Update update project.
SolutionUpdate the affected file packages.