SynopsisThe remote CentOS host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionAn update for glibc is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
The glibc packages provide the standard C libraries (libc), POSIX thread libraries (libpthread), standard math libraries (libm), and the name service cache daemon (nscd) used by multiple programs on the system. Without these libraries, the Linux system cannot function correctly.
Security Fix(es) :
* A stack overflow vulnerability was found in nan* functions that could cause applications, which process long strings with the nan function, to crash or, potentially, execute arbitrary code.
* It was found that out-of-range time values passed to the strftime() function could result in an out-of-bounds memory access. This could lead to application crash or, potentially, information disclosure.
* An integer overflow vulnerability was found in hcreate() and hcreate_r() functions which could result in an out-of-bounds memory access. This could lead to application crash or, potentially, arbitrary code execution. (CVE-2015-8778)
* A stack based buffer overflow vulnerability was found in the catopen() function. An excessively long string passed to the function could cause it to crash or, potentially, execute arbitrary code.
* It was found that the dynamic loader did not sanitize the LD_POINTER_GUARD environment variable. An attacker could use this flaw to bypass the pointer guarding protection on set-user-ID or set-group-ID programs to execute arbitrary code with the permissions of the user running the application. (CVE-2015-8777)
Additional Changes :
For detailed information on changes in this release, see the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 Release Notes linked from the References section.
SolutionUpdate the affected glibc packages.