Scientific Linux Security Update : glibc on SL7.x x86_64
High Nessus Plugin ID 102641
SynopsisThe remote Scientific Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionSecurity Fix(es) :
- A stack overflow vulnerability was found in nan* functions that could cause applications, which process long strings with the nan function, to crash or, potentially, execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2014-9761)
- It was found that out-of-range time values passed to the strftime() function could result in an out-of-bounds memory access. This could lead to application crash or, potentially, information disclosure. (CVE-2015-8776)
- An integer overflow vulnerability was found in hcreate() and hcreate_r() functions which could result in an out-of-bounds memory access. This could lead to application crash or, potentially, arbitrary code execution. (CVE-2015-8778)
- A stack based buffer overflow vulnerability was found in the catopen() function. An excessively long string passed to the function could cause it to crash or, potentially, execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2015-8779)
- It was found that the dynamic loader did not sanitize the LD_POINTER_GUARD environment variable. An attacker could use this flaw to bypass the pointer guarding protection on set-user-ID or set-group-ID programs to execute arbitrary code with the permissions of the user running the application. (CVE-2015-8777)
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.