AIX NTP v3 Advisory : ntp_advisory7.asc (IV87614) (IV87419) (IV87615) (IV87420) (IV87939)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 102128
SynopsisThe remote AIX host has a version of NTP installed that is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe version of NTP installed on the remote AIX host is affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- A time serving flaw exists in the trusted key system due to improper key checks. An authenticated, remote attacker can exploit this to perform impersonation attacks between authenticated peers. (CVE-2015-7974)
- An information disclosure vulnerability exists in the message authentication functionality in libntp that is triggered during the handling of a series of specially crafted messages. An adjacent attacker can exploit this to partially recover the message digest key.
- A flaw exists due to improper filtering of IPv4 'bogon' packets received from a network. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this to spoof packets to appear to come from a specific reference clock.
- A denial of service vulnerability exists that allows an authenticated, remote attacker to manipulate the value of the trustedkey, controlkey, or requestkey via a crafted packet, preventing authentication with ntpd until the daemon has been restarted. (CVE-2016-2517)
- An out-of-bounds read error exists in the MATCH_ASSOC() function that occurs during the creation of peer associations with hmode greater than 7. An authenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted packet, to cause a denial of service.
- An overflow condition exists in the ctl_getitem() function in ntpd due to improper validation of user-supplied input when reporting return values. An authenticated, remote attacker can exploit this to cause ntpd to abort. (CVE-2016-2519)
SolutionA fix is available and can be downloaded from the IBM AIX website.