SUSE SLED12 / SLES12 Security Update : xen (SUSE-SU-2017:1742-1)
High Nessus Plugin ID 101202
SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThis update for xen fixes several issues. These security issues were fixed :
- Page transfer might have allowed PV guest to elevate privilege (XSA-217, bsc#1042882)
- Races in the grant table unmap code allowed for informations leaks and potentially privilege escalation (XSA-218, bsc#1042893)
- Insufficient reference counts during shadow emulation allowed a malicious pair of guest to elevate their privileges to the privileges that XEN runs under (XSA-219, bsc#1042915)
- Missing NULL pointer check in event channel poll allows guests to DoS the host (XSA-221, bsc#1042924)
- Stale P2M mappings due to insufficient error checking allowed malicious guest to leak information or elevate privileges (XSA-222, bsc#1042931)
- Grant table operations mishandled reference counts allowing malicious guests to escape (XSA-224, bsc#1042938)
- CVE-2017-9330: USB OHCI Emulation in qemu allowed local guest OS users to cause a denial of service (infinite loop) by leveraging an incorrect return value (bsc#1042160)
- CVE-2017-8309: Memory leak in the audio/audio.c allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (memory consumption) by repeatedly starting and stopping audio capture (bsc#1037243)
- PKRU and BND* leakage between vCPU-s might have leaked information to other guests (XSA-220, bsc#1042923)
The update package also includes non-security fixes. See advisory for details.
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use YaST online_update.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SDK-12-SP2-2017-1087=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP2-2017-1087=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-DESKTOP-12-SP2-2017-1087=1
To bring your system up-to-date, use 'zypper patch'.