SUSE SLES11 Security Update : xen (SUSE-SU-2017:1715-1)
High Nessus Plugin ID 101142
SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThis update for xen fixes the following security issues :
- blkif responses leaked backend stack data, which allowed unprivileged guest to obtain sensitive information from the host or other guests (XSA-216, bsc#1042863)
- Page transfer might have allowed PV guest to elevate privilege (XSA-217, bsc#1042882)
- Races in the grant table unmap code allowed for informations leaks and potentially privilege escalation (XSA-218, bsc#1042893)
- Insufficient reference counts during shadow emulation allowed a malicious pair of guest to elevate their privileges to the privileges that XEN runs under (XSA-219, bsc#1042915)
- Stale P2M mappings due to insufficient error checking allowed malicious guest to leak information or elevate privileges (XSA-222, bsc#1042931)
- Grant table operations mishandled reference counts allowing malicious guests to escape (XSA-224, bsc#1042938)
- CVE-2017-9330: USB OHCI Emulation in qemu allowed local guest OS users to cause a denial of service (infinite loop) by leveraging an incorrect return value (bsc#1042160)
- CVE-2017-8309: Memory leak in the audio/audio.c allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (memory consumption) by repeatedly starting and stopping audio capture (bsc#1037243)
- CVE-2017-8905: Xen a failsafe callback, which might have allowed PV guest OS users to execute arbitrary code on the host OS (XSA-215, bsc#1034845).
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use YaST online_update.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11-SP3-LTSS:zypper in -t patch slessp3-xen-13181=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Sale 11-SP3:zypper in -t patch sleposp3-xen-13181=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Debuginfo 11-SP3:zypper in -t patch dbgsp3-xen-13181=1
To bring your system up-to-date, use 'zypper patch'.