This script is Copyright (C) 2010-2016 Tenable Network Security, Inc.
The remote host has a virtualization application affected by multiple
A VMware product (Player, Workstation, or Movie Decoder) detected on
the remote host has one or more of the following vulnerabilities :
- The VMnc media codec has multiple heap overflow
vulnerabilities. A remote attacker could exploit these
issues by tricking a user into requesting a malicious
web page or opening a malicious file.
- A flaw in the 3rd party libpng library could allow an
attacker to read sensitive portions of memory.
- A flaw in vmware-authd could lead to a denial of service
service on Windows-based hosts. (CVE-2009-3707)
- A format string vulnerability exists in the VMware
Console Plug-in. A remote attacker could exploit this
by tricking a user into requesting a malicious web
page, resulting in arbitrary code execution.
- A flaw in the virtual networking stack could result in
an information leak, causing memory from a guest VM to
be sent to host's physical network. (CVE-2010-1138)
- A vulnerability in the USB service allows a local
attacker to elevate privileges by placing a malicious
file in a certain location. This vulnerability only
affects Workstation and Player installed on Windows.
- A flaw in the way VMware libraries are referenced could
allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code in a
guest Windows VM by tricking a user into requesting a
malicious file. (CVE-2010-1141)
- A flaw in the way VMware executables are loaded could
allow a malicious user to execute arbitrary code in a
guest Windows VM by planting a malicious file in a
a certain location. (CVE-2010-1142)
See also :
Upgrade to :
- VMware Workstation 6.5.4 / 7.0.1 or later.
- VMware Player 2.5.4 / 3.0.1 or later.
- VMware Movie Decoder (standalone) 6.5.4 or later.
- VMware Remote Console Plug-in latest version
(refer to the advisory for instructions)
In addition to patching, VMware Tools must be updated on all guest VMs
in order to completely mitigate certain vulnerabilities. Refer to the
VMware advisory for more information.
Risk factor :
High / CVSS Base Score : 9.3
CVSS Temporal Score : 7.7
Public Exploit Available : true
Nessus Plugin ID: 45541 ()
Get Nessus Professional to scan unlimited IPs, run compliance checks & moreBuy Nessus Professional Now