Tenable Network Security Podcast Episode 172 - "Web Interface Command Execution, HTTP Error Codes"
- Video: Nessus Website Screenshots Feature. Check out our video channel on YouTube for additional Nessus and SecurityCenter tutorials.
- We're hiring! - Visit the Tenable Careers page for information about open positions.
- Tenable Tweets - Find us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/tenablesecurity where we Tweet product and company announcements, Nessus plugin statistics, and more!
- Want to ask questions about Nessus, SecurityCenter, LCE, and PVS and get answers from the experts at Tenable? Join Tenable's Discussion Forum for custom scripts, announcements, and more!
- You can subscribe to the Tenable Network Security Podcast on iTunes!
Discussion & Highlighted Plugins
- This is a particularly critical type of vulnerability. Make certain you understand the context, e.g., if the exploit requires authentication or not. The ability to execute operating system commands via the web interface allows an attacker to easily take control of a system. I've encountered command execution vulnerabilities in several different forms, and most of the time, with a little testing, it's possible to fully compromise the system. Many systems do not offer command line access. However, the web interface allows you to run commands, often without restrictions since the system assumes the user will never see "under the covers." The plugin released this month covers a web command exception for z/OS, IBM's mainframe platform, making this an interesting situation. How can we more easily detect this type of vulnerability in our environments?
- Several new PVS plugins detect HTTP error codes. This could be indicative of a host on your internal network looking for vulnerabilities in external sites.
- Several new reports and dashboards were created to allow you to analyze vulnerabilities by software type. How does this help you analyze risk and improve your vulnerability management program?
New & Notable Plugins
- Default Password (openvpnas) for 'root' Account
- Skype for Windows < 22.214.171.124 Multiple Vulnerabilities (uncredentialed check)
- Skype < 126.96.36.199 Multiple Vulnerabilities (credentialed check)
- Mitsubishi MX Component ActiveX Remote Code Execution
- Cisco IOS ISM Module for ISR G2 Authentication Header DoS
- Nitro Pro <= 188.8.131.52 Memory Corruption
- Nitro Reader Installed
- Nitro Reader <= 184.108.40.206 Memory Corruption
Passive Vulnerability Scanner
- HTTP 500 Detection (Client)
- HTTP 4xx Detection (Client)
- MS Skydrive 'Cloud' Backup Service Detection
- Tridium SCADA Server Version Detection
- SAP Netweaver Version Detection
- Rockwell Automation RSBizWare Detection
- Mitsubishi Electric Device Version Detection
- LabView Remote Management Interface Detection
- HTTP 500 Detection
SecurityCenter Dashboards & Report Templates
- Web Development Software Vulnerabilities
- Security Software Vulnerabilities
- Remote Access Vulnerability Report
- Storage and Backup Vulnerability Report
- Office Suite Vulnerabilities
- Update Services Vulnerabilities Report
- Virtual Computing Vulnerabilities
- Web Browser Vulnerability Report
- Web Technology Vulnerability Report
Configuration & Compliance Auditing
Nessus ProfessionalFeed and SecurityCenter customers can download compliance checks from the Tenable Support Portal.
Security News Stories
- Counter-Strike? | CSO Blogs
- De-ICE 1.40 LiveCD Hacking Challenge Released
- 2012 Browser Security Comparative Analysis: Socially Engineered Malware | NSS Labs
- Google researcher discloses zero-day exploit for Windows
- LinkedIn aims to keep hackers out with two-factor login
- How to Hack an iPhone With a USB Charger
- Moving Safely From Detection To Automated Action