Tenable Network Security Podcast Episode 113 - "Nessus 5.0 New Features"
- Paul Asadoorian, Product Evangelist
- Carlos Perez, Lead Vulnerability Researcher
- Ron Gula, CEO/CTO
- New iSeries and AS/400 plugins are being released this week!
- Check out our video channel on YouTube that contains the latest Nessus and SecurityCenter 4 tutorials. The "Top Ten Things You Didn't Know About Nessus" videos have been posted from #10 through #2, so check them out!
- We're hiring! - Visit the Tenable website for more information about open positions.
- You can subscribe to the Tenable Network Security Podcast on iTunes!
- Tenable Tweets - You can find us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/tenablesecurity where we make product and company announcements, provide Nessus plugin statistics, and more!
- Want to ask questions about Nessus, SecurityCenter, LCE, and PVS and get answers from the experts at Tenable? Join Tenable's Discussion Forum for custom scripts, announcements, and more!
New & Notable Plugins
Passive Vulnerability Scanner
- RealPlayer for Windows
- HP Data Protector Media Operations Server 'DBServer.exe' Remote Code Execution
Nessus 5.0 - New Features Discussion
Installation & Configuration
- A browser-based installation wizard for users on a wide variety of platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, or UNIX) - What does this meam for end-users?
- Configuration and management is now done through the GUI. Nessus users can now quickly initiate plugin updates and see last update information through the GUI.
Scan Policy Creation & Design
- Users can quickly select multiple filter criteria, such as, Vulnerability Publication Date, public vulnerability database ID (OSVDB, Bugtraq, CERT Advisory, and Secunia), Plugin type (local or remote), information assurance vulnerability alert (IAVA), and more!
- Scan for all easily remotely-exploitable vulnerabilities for which there is an exploit published in your favorite exploit framework, local third-party client software that is unpatched, systems that have been missing patches for more than a year, CVSS scores greater than 8, weak or default passwords.
- Nessus v5.0 now has five severity levels: Informational, Low Risk, Medium Risk, High Risk, and Critical Risk.
- A new vulnerability summary and redesigned host summary make it easy to see risk level without even running a report.
- One click to jump from a critical vulnerability to see the host(s) that is vulnerable to the details of the vulnerability.
- As the scan is being run, not only can you see the results as they are being gathered, but navigate and filter on them as well.
Report Filtering & Customization
- Users can apply multiple result filtering criteria, and targeted reports can be generated against the filtered results.
- . A user can exclude particular vulnerabilities from a report before it is generated, allowing delivery of results targeted to specific audiences.
- Four new pre-configured report formats — Compliance Check, Compliance Check (Executive), Vulnerabilities by Host, and Vulnerabilities by Plugin: users can quickly create reports by chapters.
- Reports can be generated in native Nessus formats, HTML, and now PDF formats (requires Oracle Java be installed on the Nessus server).
- Multiple report templates can be combined into one report.