Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.0.x < 5.0.38 / 5.1.x < 5.1.20 (April 2017 CPU)
High Nessus Plugin ID 99509
SynopsisAn application installed on the remote host is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe version of Oracle VM VirtualBox installed on the remote host is 5.0.x prior to 5.0.38 or 5.1.x prior to 5.1.20. It is, therefore, affected by multiple vulnerabilities :
- An unspecified flaw exists in the Core component that allows a local attacker to disclose potentially sensitive information. (CVE-2017-3513)
- A flaw exists in the Shared Folder component, specifically when cooperating guests access files within a shared folder while moving it. A local attacker within a guest can exploit this to read arbitrary files on the host. (CVE-2017-3538)
- Multiple unspecified flaws exist in the Core component that allow a local attacker to impact confidentiality, integrity, and availability. (CVE-2017-3558, CVE-2017-3559, CVE-2017-3561, CVE-2017-3563, CVE-2017-3576)
- An unspecified flaw exists in the Core component that allows a local attacker to impact integrity and availability. (CVE-2017-3575)
- An unspecified flaw exists in the Shared Folder component that allows a local attacker to impact integrity and availability. (CVE-2017-3587)
Note that Nessus has not tested for these issues but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpgrade to Oracle VM VirtualBox version 5.0.38 / 5.1.20 or later as referenced in the April 2017 Oracle Critical Patch Update advisory.
Note that vulnerability CVE-2017-3538 was fixed in versions 5.0.34 and 5.1.16.