MS17-012: Security Update for Microsoft Windows (4013078)
Critical Nessus Plugin ID 97743
SynopsisThe remote Windows host is affected multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe remote Windows host is missing a security update. It is, therefore, affected by multiple vulnerabilities :
- A security feature bypass vulnerability exists in Device Guard due to improper validation of certain elements in a signed PowerShell script. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this vulnerability to modify the contents of a PowerShell script without invalidating the signature associated with the file, allowing the execution of a malicious script. (CVE-2017-0007)
- A denial of service vulnerability exists in the Microsoft Server Message Block 2.0 and 3.0 (SMBv2/SMBv3) client implementations due to improper handling of certain requests sent to the client. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this issue, via a malicious SMB server, to cause the system to stop responding until it is manually restarted. (CVE-2017-0016)
- A remote code execution vulnerability exists due to using an insecure path to load certain dynamic link library (DLL) files. A local attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted library placed in the path, to execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2017-0039)
- An information disclosure vulnerability exists in Windows dnsclient due to improper handling of certain requests. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, by convincing a user to visit a specially crafted web page, to gain access to sensitive information on a targeted workstation. If the target is a server, the attacker can also exploit this issue by tricking the server into sending a DNS query to a malicious DNS server. (CVE-2017-0057)
- An elevation of privilege vulnerability exists in Helppane.exe due to a failure by an unspecified DCOM object, configured to run as the interactive user, to properly authenticate the client. An authenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted application, to execute arbitrary code in another user's session. (CVE-2017-0100)
- An integer overflow condition exists in the iSNS Server service due to improper validation of input from the client. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this issue, via a specially crafted application that connects and issues requests to the iSNS server, to execute arbitrary code in the context of the SYSTEM account. (CVE-2017-0104)
SolutionMicrosoft has released a set of patches for Windows Vista, 2008, 7, 2008 R2, 2012, 8.1, RT 8.1, 2012 R2, 10, and 2016.