MS17-014: Security Update for Microsoft Office (4013241)
High Nessus Plugin ID 97740
SynopsisAn application installed on the remote host is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe Microsoft Office application, Office Web Apps, or SharePoint Server installed on the remote Windows host is missing a security update. It is, therefore, affected by multiple vulnerabilities :
- Multiple remote code execution vulnerabilities exist in Microsoft Office software due to improper handling of objects in memory. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit these, by convincing a user to open a specially crafted document file, to execute arbitrary code in the context of the current user. (CVE-2017-0006, CVE-2017-0019, CVE-2017-0020, CVE-2017-0030, CVE-2017-0031, CVE-2017-0052, CVE-2017-0053)
- An information disclosure vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office due to improper disclosure of memory contents. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this to disclose sensitive system memory information by convincing a user to open a specially crafted document file. (CVE-2017-0027)
- A denial of service vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office that allows an unauthenticated, remote attacker to cause Office to stop responding by convincing a user to open a specially crafted document file.
- An out-of-bounds read error exists in Microsoft Office due to an uninitialized variable. A local attacker can exploit this to disclose memory contents by opening a specially crafted document file. (CVE-2017-0105)
- A cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability exists in Microsoft SharePoint Server due to improper validation of input before returning it to users. An authenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted request, to execute arbitrary script code in a user's browser session. (CVE-2017-0107)
SolutionMicrosoft has released a set of patches for Microsoft Office 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016; Microsoft Excel 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016;
Microsoft Word 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016; Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack; Microsoft Excel Viewer; Microsoft Word Viewer;
Microsoft SharePoint Server 2007, 2010, and 2013; Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2013; and Microsoft Office Web Apps Server 2010 and 2013.