Scientific Linux Security Update : ntp on SL6.x, SL7.x i386/x86_64
High Nessus Plugin ID 97039
SynopsisThe remote Scientific Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionSecurity Fix(es) :
- It was found that when ntp is configured with rate limiting for all associations the limits are also applied to responses received from its configured sources. A remote attacker who knows the sources can cause a denial of service by preventing ntpd from accepting valid responses from its sources.
- A flaw was found in the control mode functionality of ntpd. A remote attacker could send a crafted control mode packet which could lead to information disclosure or result in DDoS amplification attacks. (CVE-2016-9310)
- A flaw was found in the way ntpd implemented the trap service. A remote attacker could send a specially crafted packet to cause a NULL pointer dereference that will crash ntpd, resulting in a denial of service.
- A flaw was found in the way ntpd running on a host with multiple network interfaces handled certain server responses. A remote attacker could use this flaw which would cause ntpd to not synchronize with the source.
- A flaw was found in the way ntpd calculated the root delay. A remote attacker could send a specially crafted spoofed packet to cause denial of service or in some special cases even crash. (CVE-2016-7433)
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.