RHEL 6 / 7 : ntp (RHSA-2017:0252)
High Nessus Plugin ID 97011
SynopsisThe remote Red Hat host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionAn update for ntp is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is used to synchronize a computer's time with another referenced time source. These packages include the ntpd service which continuously adjusts system time and utilities used to query and configure the ntpd service.
Security Fix(es) :
* It was found that when ntp is configured with rate limiting for all associations the limits are also applied to responses received from its configured sources. A remote attacker who knows the sources can cause a denial of service by preventing ntpd from accepting valid responses from its sources. (CVE-2016-7426)
* A flaw was found in the control mode functionality of ntpd. A remote attacker could send a crafted control mode packet which could lead to information disclosure or result in DDoS amplification attacks.
* A flaw was found in the way ntpd implemented the trap service. A remote attacker could send a specially crafted packet to cause a NULL pointer dereference that will crash ntpd, resulting in a denial of service. (CVE-2016-9311)
* A flaw was found in the way ntpd running on a host with multiple network interfaces handled certain server responses. A remote attacker could use this flaw which would cause ntpd to not synchronize with the source. (CVE-2016-7429)
* A flaw was found in the way ntpd calculated the root delay. A remote attacker could send a specially crafted spoofed packet to cause denial of service or in some special cases even crash. (CVE-2016-7433)
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.