New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 5.9
SynopsisThe remote Debian host is missing a security-related update.
DescriptionSeveral vulnerabilities were discovered in NSS, the cryptography library developed by the Mozilla project.
- CVE-2015-4000 David Adrian et al. reported that it may be feasible to attack Diffie-Hellman-based cipher suites in certain circumstances, compromising the confidentiality and integrity of data encrypted with Transport Layer Security (TLS).
- CVE-2015-7181 CVE-2015-7182 CVE-2016-1950 Tyson Smith, David Keeler, and Francis Gabriel discovered heap-based buffer overflows in the ASN.1 DER parser, potentially leading to arbitrary code execution.
- CVE-2015-7575 Karthikeyan Bhargavan discovered that TLS client implementation accepted MD5-based signatures for TLS 1.2 connections with forward secrecy, weakening the intended security strength of TLS connections.
- CVE-2016-1938 Hanno Boeck discovered that NSS miscomputed the result of integer division for certain inputs. This could weaken the cryptographic protections provided by NSS.
However, NSS implements RSA-CRT leak hardening, so RSA private keys are not directly disclosed by this issue.
- CVE-2016-1978 Eric Rescorla discovered a use-after-free vulnerability in the implementation of ECDH-based TLS handshakes, with unknown consequences.
- CVE-2016-1979 Tim Taubert discovered a use-after-free vulnerability in ASN.1 DER processing, with application-specific impact.
- CVE-2016-2834 Tyson Smith and Jed Davis discovered unspecified memory-safety bugs in NSS.
In addition, the NSS library did not ignore environment variables in processes which underwent a SUID/SGID/AT_SECURE transition at process start. In certain system configurations, this allowed local users to escalate their privileges.
This update contains further correctness and stability fixes without immediate security impact.
SolutionUpgrade the nss packages.
For the stable distribution (jessie), these problems have been fixed in version 2:3.26-1+debu8u1.