Splunk Enterprise < 5.0.16 / 6.0.12 / 6.1.11 / 6.2.11 / 6.3.6 / 6.4.2 or Splunk Light < 6.4.2 Multiple Vulnerabilities
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 92790
SynopsisAn application running on the remote web server is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionAccording to its self-reported version number, the version of Splunk Enterprise hosted on the remote web server is 5.0.x, 6.0.x prior to 6.0.12, 6.1.x prior to 6.1.11, 6.2.x prior to 6.2.11, 6.3.x prior to 6.3.6, or 6.4.x prior to 6.4.2; or else it is Splunk Light version 6.4.x prior to 6.4.2. It is, therefore, affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- An integer signedness error exists in libarchive in the archive_write_zip_data() function within file archive_write_set_format_zip.c due to improper conversion between unsigned and signed integer types when running on 64-bit CPUs. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this to cause a buffer overflow, resulting in a denial of service condition.
- A path traversal vulnerability exists in libarchive in the bsdcpio() function within file in cpio/cpio.c due to improper sanitization of user-supplied input. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted path in an archive, to write to arbitrary files. (CVE-2015-2304)
- A heap-based buffer overflow condition exists in libarchive in the zip_read_mac_metadata() function within file archive_read_support_format_zip.c due to improper sanitization of user-supplied input. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via specially crafted entry-size values in a ZIP archive, to cause a denial of service condition or the execution of arbitrary code. (CVE-2016-1541)
- Multiple flaws exist in the OpenSSL library in the aesni_cbc_hmac_sha1_cipher() function in file crypto/evp/e_aes_cbc_hmac_sha1.c and the aesni_cbc_hmac_sha256_cipher() function in file crypto/evp/e_aes_cbc_hmac_sha256.c that are triggered when the connection uses an AES-CBC cipher and AES-NI is supported by the server. A man-in-the-middle attacker can exploit these to conduct a padding oracle attack, resulting in the ability to decrypt the network traffic.
- An unspecified cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability exists due to improper validation of user-supplied input. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted request, to execute arbitrary script code in the user's browser session.
- An unspecified cross-site redirection vulnerability exists due to improper validation of user-supplied input. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, by convincing a user to visit a specially crafted web link, to redirect the browser to an arbitrary website of the attacker's own choosing.
Note that Splunk Enterprise 5.0.x will not be patched for OpenSSL issues, and it is recommended you upgrade to the latest version.
Note that Nessus has not tested for these issues but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpgrade Splunk Enterprise to version 6.0.12 / 6.1.11 / 6.2.11 / 6.3.6 / 6.4.2 or later, or Splunk Light to version 6.4.2 or later.