HP Data Protector 7.0x < 7.03 build 108 / 8.1x < 8.15 / 9.0x < 9.06 Multiple Vulnerabilities (HPSBGN03580) (Bar Mitzvah)
Critical Nessus Plugin ID 90796
SynopsisThe remote host is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe version of HP Data Protector installed on the remote host is 7.0x prior to 7.03 build 108, 8.1x prior to 8.15, or 9.0x prior to 9.06. It is, therefore, affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- A security feature bypass vulnerability exists, known as Bar Mitzvah, due to improper combination of state data with key data by the RC4 cipher algorithm during the initialization phase. A man-in-the-middle attacker can exploit this, via a brute-force attack using LSB values, to decrypt the traffic. (CVE-2015-2808)
- A flaw exists due to a failure to authenticate users, even with Encrypted Control Communications enabled. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this to execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2016-2004)
- Multiple overflow conditions exist due to improper validation of user-supplied input. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit these issues, via specially crafted 'User Name' or 'Domain' field in an EXEC_BAR request, to cause a stack-based buffer overflow, resulting in a denial of service or the execution of arbitrary code. (CVE-2016-2005, CVE-2016-2006)
- An overflow condition exists due to improper validation of user-supplied input. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via specially crafted EXEC_SCRIPT request, to cause a stack-based buffer overflow, resulting in a denial of service or the execution of arbitrary code. (CVE-2016-2007)
- An unspecified flaw exists that allows an unauthenticated, remote attacker to disclose sensitive information or execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2016-2008)
SolutionUpgrade to HP Data Protector 7.03 build 108 (7.03_108) / 8.15 / 9.06 or later per the vendor advisory.