New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 5.9
SynopsisThe remote Red Hat host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionUpdated kernel-rt packages that fix two security issues, several bugs, and add various enhancements are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having Important security impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base scores, which give detailed severity ratings, are available for each vulnerability from the CVE links in the References section.
The kernel-rt packages contain the Linux kernel, the core of any Linux operating system.
* It was found that the Linux kernel's keys subsystem did not correctly garbage collect uninstantiated keyrings. A local attacker could use this flaw to crash the system or, potentially, escalate their privileges on the system. (CVE-2015-7872, Important)
* A flaw was found in the way the Linux kernel handled IRET faults during the processing of NMIs. An unprivileged, local user could use this flaw to crash the system or, potentially (although highly unlikely), escalate their privileges on the system. (CVE-2015-5157, Moderate)
The kernel-rt packages have been upgraded to version 3.10.0-327.10.1, which provides a number of bug fixes and enhancements, including :
* [md] dm: fix AB-BA deadlock in __dm_destroy()
* [md] revert 'dm-mpath: fix stalls when handling invalid ioctl
* [cpufreq] intel_pstate: Fix limits->max_perf and limits->max_policy_pct rounding errors
* [cpufreq] revert 'intel_pstate: fix rounding error in max_freq_pct'
* [crypto] nx: 842 - Add CRC and validation support
* [of] return NUMA_NO_NODE from fallback of_node_to_nid()
This update also fixes the following bugs :
* Because the realtime kernel replaces most of the spinlocks with rtmutexes, the locking scheme used in both NAPI polling and busy polling could become out of synchronization with the State Machine they protected. This could cause system performance degradation or even a livelock situation when a machine with faster NICs (10g or 40g) was subject to a heavy pressure receiving network packets. The locking schemes on NAPI polling and busy polling routines have been hardened to enforce the State machine sanity to help ensure the system continues to function properly under pressure. (BZ#1293230)
* A possible livelock in the NAPI polling and busy polling routines could lead the system to a livelock on threads running at high, realtime, priorities. The threads running at priorities lower than the ones of the threads involved in the livelock were prevented from running on the CPUs affected by the livelock. Among those lower priority threads are the rcuc/ threads. With this update, right before (4 jiffies) a RCU stall is detected, the rcuc/ threads on the CPUs facing the livelock have their priorities boosted above the priority of the threads involved in the livelock. The softirq code has also been updated to be more robust. These modifications allow the rcuc/ threads to execute even under system pressure, mitigating the RCU stalls. (BZ#1293229)
* Multiple CPUs trying to take an rq lock previously caused large latencies on machines with many CPUs. On systems with more than 32 cores, this update uses the 'push' rather than 'pull' approach and provides multiple changes to the scheduling of rq locks. As a result, machines no longer suffer from multiplied latencies on large CPU systems. (BZ#1282597)
* Previously, the SFC driver for 10 GB cards executed polling in NAPI mode, using a locking mechanism similar to a 'trylock'. Consequently, when running on a Realtime kernel, a livelock could occur. This update modifies the locking mechanism so that once the lock is taken it is not released until the operation is complete. (BZ#1282609)
All kernel-rt users are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which correct these issues and add these enhancements. The system must be rebooted for this update to take effect.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.