SynopsisThe remote Scientific Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionSeveral denial of service flaws were found in Wireshark. Wireshark could crash or stop responding if it read a malformed packet off a network, or opened a malicious dump file. (CVE-2014-8714, CVE-2014-8712, CVE-2014-8713, CVE-2014-8711, CVE-2014-8710, CVE-2015-0562, CVE-2015-0564, CVE-2015-2189, CVE-2015-2191)
This update also fixes the following bugs :
- Previously, the Wireshark tool did not support Advanced Encryption Standard Galois/Counter Mode (AES-GCM) cryptographic algorithm. As a consequence, AES-GCM was not decrypted. Support for AES-GCM has been added to Wireshark, and AES-GCM is now correctly decrypted.
- Previously, when installing the system using the kickstart method, a dependency on the shadow-utils packages was missing from the wireshark packages, which could cause the installation to fail with a 'bad scriptlet' error message. With this update, shadow-utils are listed as required in the wireshark packages spec file, and kickstart installation no longer fails.
- Prior to this update, the Wireshark tool could not decode types of elliptic curves in Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) Client Hello. Consequently, Wireshark incorrectly displayed elliptic curves types as data. A patch has been applied to address this bug, and Wireshark now decodes elliptic curves types properly.
- Previously, a dependency on the gtk2 packages was missing from the wireshark packages. As a consequence, the Wireshark tool failed to start under certain circumstances due to an unresolved symbol, 'gtk_combo_box_text_new_with_entry', which was added in gtk version 2.24. With this update, a dependency on gtk2 has been added, and Wireshark now always starts as expected.
In addition, this update adds the following enhancements :
- With this update, the Wireshark tool supports process substitution, which feeds the output of a process (or processes) into the standard input of another process using the '<(command_list)' syntax. When using process substitution with large files as input, Wireshark failed to decode such input.
- Wireshark has been enhanced to enable capturing packets with nanosecond time stamp precision, which allows better analysis of recorded network traffic.
All running instances of Wireshark must be restarted for the update to take effect.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.