Apache Tomcat 7.0.x < 7.0.60 Multiple Vulnerabilities (FREAK)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 83526
SynopsisThe remote Apache Tomcat server is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionAccording to its self-reported version number, the Apache Tomcat service listening on the remote host is 7.0.x prior to 7.0.60. It is, therefore, affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw exists when the SSLv3 option isn't enabled and an SSLv3 ClientHello is received. This allows a remote attacker, using an unexpected handshake, to crash the daemon, resulting in a denial of service. (CVE-2014-3569)
- The BIGNUM squaring (BN_sqr) implementation does not properly calculate the square of a BIGNUM value. This allows remote attackers to defeat cryptographic protection mechanisms. (CVE-2014-3570)
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw exists with dtls1_get_record() when handling DTLS messages. A remote attacker, using a specially crafted DTLS message, can cause a denial of service. (CVE-2014-3571)
- A flaw exists with ECDH handshakes when using an ECDSA certificate without a ServerKeyExchange message. This allows a remote attacker to trigger a loss of forward secrecy from the ciphersuite. (CVE-2014-3572)
- A flaw exists when accepting non-DER variations of certificate signature algorithms and signature encodings due to a lack of enforcement of matches between signed and unsigned portions. A remote attacker, by including crafted data within a certificate's unsigned portion, can bypass fingerprint-based certificate-blacklist protection mechanisms. (CVE-2014-8275)
- A security feature bypass vulnerability, known as FREAK (Factoring attack on RSA-EXPORT Keys), exists due to the support of weak EXPORT_RSA cipher suites with keys less than or equal to 512 bits. A man-in-the-middle attacker may be able to downgrade the SSL/TLS connection to use EXPORT_RSA cipher suites which can be factored in a short amount of time, allowing the attacker to intercept and decrypt the traffic. (CVE-2015-0204)
- A flaw exists when accepting DH certificates for client authentication without the CertificateVerify message.
This allows a remote attacker to authenticate to the service without a private key. (CVE-2015-0205)
- A memory leak occurs in dtls1_buffer_record() when handling a saturation of DTLS records containing the same number sequence but for the next epoch. This allows a remote attacker to cause a denial of service.
- A use-after-free condition exists in the d2i_ECPrivateKey() function due to improper processing of malformed EC private key files during import. A remote attacker can exploit this to dereference or free already freed memory, resulting in a denial of service or other unspecified impact. (CVE-2015-0209)
- An invalid read flaw exists in the ASN1_TYPE_cmp() function due to improperly performed boolean-type comparisons. A remote attacker can exploit this, via a crafted X.509 certificate to an endpoint that uses the certificate-verification feature, to cause an invalid read operation, resulting in a denial of service.
- A flaw exists in the ASN1_item_ex_d2i() function due to a failure to reinitialize 'CHOICE' and 'ADB' data structures when reusing a structure in ASN.1 parsing.
This allows a remote attacker to cause an invalid write operation and memory corruption, resulting in a denial of service. (CVE-2015-0287)
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw exists in the X509_to_X509_REQ() function due to improper processing of certificate keys. This allows a remote attacker, via a crafted X.509 certificate, to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2015-0288)
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw exists in the PKCS#7 parsing code due to incorrect handling of missing outer ContentInfo. This allows a remote attacker, using an application that processes arbitrary PKCS#7 data and providing malformed data with ASN.1 encoding, to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2015-0289)
- A flaw exists in servers that both support SSLv2 and enable export cipher suites due to improper implementation of SSLv2. A remote attacker can exploit this, via a crafted CLIENT-MASTER-KEY message, to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2015-0293)
Note that Nessus has not attempted to exploit these issues but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpgrade to Apache Tomcat version 7.0.60 or later.