New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 5.9
SynopsisThe remote Apache Tomcat server is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionAccording to its self-reported version number, the Apache Tomcat service listening on the remote host is 6.0.x prior to 6.0.44. It is, therefore, affected by multiple vulnerabilities :
- An error exists due to a failure to limit the size of discarded requests. A remote attacker can exploit this to exhaust available memory resources, resulting in a denial of service condition. (CVE-2014-0230)
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw exists when the SSLv3 option isn't enabled and an SSLv3 ClientHello is received. This allows a remote attacker, using an unexpected handshake, to crash the daemon, resulting in a denial of service. (CVE-2014-3569)
- The BIGNUM squaring (BN_sqr) implementation does not properly calculate the square of a BIGNUM value. This allows remote attackers to defeat cryptographic protection mechanisms. (CVE-2014-3570)
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw exists with dtls1_get_record() when handling DTLS messages. A remote attacker, using a specially crafted DTLS message, can cause a denial of service. (CVE-2014-3571)
- A flaw exists with ECDH handshakes when using an ECDSA certificate without a ServerKeyExchange message. This allows a remote attacker to trigger a loss of forward secrecy from the ciphersuite. (CVE-2014-3572)
- A malicious application can use expression language to bypass the internal Security Manager and execute code with elevated privileges. (CVE-2014-7810)
- A flaw exists when accepting non-DER variations of certificate signature algorithms and signature encodings due to a lack of enforcement of matches between signed and unsigned portions. A remote attacker, by including crafted data within a certificate's unsigned portion, can bypass fingerprint-based certificate-blacklist protection mechanisms. (CVE-2014-8275)
- A security feature bypass vulnerability, known as FREAK (Factoring attack on RSA-EXPORT Keys), exists due to the support of weak EXPORT_RSA cipher suites with keys less than or equal to 512 bits. A man-in-the-middle attacker may be able to downgrade the SSL/TLS connection to use EXPORT_RSA cipher suites which can be factored in a short amount of time, allowing the attacker to intercept and decrypt the traffic. (CVE-2015-0204)
- A flaw exists when accepting DH certificates for client authentication without the CertificateVerify message.
This allows a remote attacker to authenticate to the service without a private key. (CVE-2015-0205)
- A memory leak occurs in dtls1_buffer_record() when handling a saturation of DTLS records containing the same number sequence but for the next epoch. This allows a remote attacker to cause a denial of service.
- A use-after-free condition exists in the d2i_ECPrivateKey() function due to improper processing of malformed EC private key files during import. A remote attacker can exploit this to dereference or free already freed memory, resulting in a denial of service or other unspecified impact. (CVE-2015-0209)
- An invalid read flaw exists in the ASN1_TYPE_cmp() function due to improperly performed boolean-type comparisons. A remote attacker can exploit this, via a crafted X.509 certificate to an endpoint that uses the certificate-verification feature, to cause an invalid read operation, resulting in a denial of service.
- A flaw exists in the ASN1_item_ex_d2i() function due to a failure to reinitialize 'CHOICE' and 'ADB' data structures when reusing a structure in ASN.1 parsing.
This allows a remote attacker to cause an invalid write operation and memory corruption, resulting in a denial of service. (CVE-2015-0287)
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw exists in the X509_to_X509_REQ() function due to improper processing of certificate keys. This allows a remote attacker, via a crafted X.509 certificate, to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2015-0288)
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw exists in the PKCS#7 parsing code due to incorrect handling of missing outer ContentInfo. This allows a remote attacker, using an application that processes arbitrary PKCS#7 data and providing malformed data with ASN.1 encoding, to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2015-0289)
- A flaw exists in servers that both support SSLv2 and enable export cipher suites due to improper implementation of SSLv2. A remote attacker can exploit this, via a crafted CLIENT-MASTER-KEY message, to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2015-0293)
Note that Nessus has not attempted to exploit these issues but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpgrade to Apache Tomcat version 6.0.44 or later.