RHEL 7 : 389-ds-base (RHSA-2015:0416)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 81634
SynopsisThe remote Red Hat host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionUpdated 389-ds-base packages that fix two security issues, several bugs, and add various enhancements are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having Important security impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base scores, which give detailed severity ratings, are available for each vulnerability from the CVE links in the References section.
The 389 Directory Server is an LDAPv3 compliant server. The base packages include the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) server and command-line utilities for server administration.
An information disclosure flaw was found in the way the 389 Directory Server stored information in the Changelog that is exposed via the 'cn=changelog' LDAP sub-tree. An unauthenticated user could in certain cases use this flaw to read data from the Changelog, which could include sensitive information such as plain-text passwords.
It was found that when the nsslapd-unhashed-pw-switch 389 Directory Server configuration option was set to 'off', it did not prevent the writing of unhashed passwords into the Changelog. This could potentially allow an authenticated user able to access the Changelog to read sensitive information. (CVE-2014-8112)
The CVE-2014-8105 issue was discovered by Petr Spacek of the Red Hat Identity Management Engineering Team, and the CVE-2014-8112 issue was discovered by Ludwig Krispenz of the Red Hat Identity Management Engineering Team.
* Added new WinSync configuration parameters: winSyncSubtreePair for synchronizing multiple subtrees, as well as winSyncWindowsFilter and winSyncDirectoryFilter for synchronizing restricted sets by filters.
* It is now possible to stop, start, or configure plug-ins without the need to restart the server for the change to take effect. (BZ#994690)
* Access control related to the MODDN and MODRDN operations has been updated: the source and destination targets can be specified in the same access control instruction. (BZ#1118014)
* The nsDS5ReplicaBindDNGroup attribute for using a group distinguished name in binding to replicas has been added. (BZ#1052754)
* WinSync now supports range retrieval. If more than the MaxValRange number of attribute values exist per attribute, WinSync synchronizes all the attributes to the directory server using the range retrieval.
* Support for the RFC 4527 Read Entry Controls and RFC 4533 Content Synchronization Operation LDAP standards has been added. (BZ#1044139, BZ#1044159)
* The Referential Integrity (referint) plug-in can now use an alternate configuration area. The PlugInArg plug-in configuration now uses unique configuration attributes. Configuration changes no longer require a server restart. (BZ#1044203)
* The logconv.pl log analysis tool now supports gzip, bzip2, and xz compressed files and also TAR archives and compressed TAR archives of these files. (BZ#1044188)
* Only the Directory Manager could add encoded passwords or force users to change their password after a reset. Users defined in the passwordAdminDN attribute can now also do this. (BZ#1118007)
* The 'nsslapd-memberofScope' configuration parameter has been added to the MemberOf plug-in. With MemberOf enabled and a scope defined, moving a group out of scope with a MODRDN operation failed. Moving a member entry out of scope now correctly removes the memberof value.
* The alwaysRecordLoginAttr attribute has been addded to the Account Policy plug-in configuration entry, which allows to distinguish between an attribute for checking the activity of an account and an attribute to be updated at successful login. (BZ#1060032)
* A root DSE search, using the ldapsearch command with the '-s base -b ''' options, returns only the user attributes instead of the operational attributes. The 'nsslapd-return-default' option has been added for backward compatibility. (BZ#1118021)
* The configuration of the MemberOf plug-in can be stored in a suffix mapped to a back-end database, which allows MemberOf configuration to be replicated. (BZ#1044205)
* Added support for the SSL versions from the range supported by the NSS library available on the system. Due to the POODLE vulnerability, SSLv3 is disabled by default even if NSS supports it. (BZ#1044191)
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.