OracleVM 3.1 : xen (OVMSA-2012-0039)
High Nessus Plugin ID 79482
SynopsisThe remote OracleVM host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe remote OracleVM system is missing necessary patches to address critical security updates :
- console: bounds check whenever changing the cursor due to an escape code The device model used by fully virtualised (HVM) domains, qemu, does not properly handle escape VT100 sequences when emulating certain devices with a virtual console backend. (CVE-2012-3515)
- x86/pvhvm: properly range-check PHYSDEVOP_map_pirq/MAP_PIRQ_TYPE_GSI PHYSDEVOP_map_pirq with MAP_PIRQ_TYPE_GSI does not range check map->index.
This is being used as a array index, and hence must be validated before use. A malicious HVM guest kernel can crash the host. It might also be able to read hypervisor or guest memory. (CVE-2012-3496)
- xen: Don't BUG_ON PoD operations on a non-translated guest. XENMEM_populate_physmap can be called with invalid flags. By calling it with MEMF_populate_on_demand flag set, a BUG can be triggered if a translating paging mode is not being used.
- xen: handle out-of-pirq condition correctly in PHYSDEVOP_get_free_pirq PHYSDEVOP_get_free_pirq does not check that its call to get_free_pirq succeeded, and if it fails will use the error code as an array index.
- xen: prevent a 64 bit guest setting reserved bits in DR7 The upper 32 bits of this register are reserved and should be written as zero. (CVE-2012-3494)
SolutionUpdate the affected xen / xen-devel / xen-tools packages.