MS Security Advisory 2974294: Vulnerability in Microsoft Malware Protection Engine Could Allow Denial of Service
High Nessus Plugin ID 76123
SynopsisThe remote host has an antimalware application that is affected by a denial of service vulnerability.
DescriptionA vulnerable version of Microsoft Malware Protection Engine (MMPE) is installed on the remote host. Scanning a maliciously crafted file could prevent the Malware Protection Engine from monitoring affected systems until the file is manually removed and the service is restarted. This plugin checks if a vulnerable version of MMPE is being used by any of the following applications :
- Microsoft Forefront Client Security
- Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010
- Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection
- Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelease
- Windows Defender for Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Defender for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2
These applications are only affected if they are using a scan engine prior to 1.1.10701.0.
SolutionEnable automatic updates to update the scan engine for the relevant antimalware applications. Refer to KB2510781 for information on how to verify MMPE has been updated.