RHEL 6 : RDMA stack (RHSA-2013:1661)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 71015
SynopsisThe remote Red Hat host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionUpdated rdma, libibverbs, libmlx4, librdmacm, qperf, perftest, openmpi, compat-openmpi, infinipath-psm, mpitests, and rds-tools packages that fix two security issues, several bugs, and add various enhancements are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having moderate security impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base scores, which give detailed severity ratings, are available for each vulnerability from the CVE links in the References section.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux includes a collection of Infiniband and iWARP utilities, libraries and development packages for writing applications that use Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) technology.
A flaw was found in the way ibutils handled temporary files. A local attacker could use this flaw to cause arbitrary files to be overwritten as the root user via a symbolic link attack.
It was discovered that librdmacm used a static port to connect to the ib_acm service. A local attacker able to run a specially crafted ib_acm service on that port could use this flaw to provide incorrect address resolution information to librmdacm applications.
The CVE-2012-4516 issue was discovered by Florian Weimer of the Red Hat Product Security Team.
This advisory updates the following packages to the latest upstream releases, providing a number of bug fixes and enhancements over the previous versions :
* libibverbs-1.1.7 * libmlx4-1.0.5 * librdmacm-1.0.17 * mstflint-3.0 * perftest-2.0 * qperf-0.4.9 * rdma-3.10
Several bugs have been fixed in the openmpi, mpitests, ibutils, and infinipath-psm packages.
The most notable changes in these updated packages from the RDMA stack are the following :
* Multiple bugs in the Message Passing Interface (MPI) test packages were resolved, allowing more of the mpitest applications to pass on the underlying MPI implementations.
* The libmlx4 package now includes dracut module files to ensure that any necessary custom configuration of mlx4 port types is included in the initramfs dracut builds.
* Multiple test programs in the perftest and qperf packages now work properly over RoCE interfaces, or when specifying the use of rdmacm queue pairs.
* The mstflint package has been updated to the latest upstream version, which is now capable of burning firmware on newly released Mellanox Connect-IB hardware.
* A compatibility problem between the openmpi and infinipath-psm packages has been resolved with new builds of these packages.
All RDMA users are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which contain backported patches to correct these issues and add these enhancements.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.