Oracle Linux 5 / 6 : Unbreakable Enterprise kernel (ELSA-2012-2007)
High Nessus Plugin ID 68670
SynopsisThe remote Oracle Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionDescription of changes:
* CVE-2012-0879: Denial of service in CLONE_IO.
CLONE_IO reference counting error could be exploited by an unprivileged local user to cause denial of service.
* CVE-2012-1097: NULL pointer dereference in the ptrace subsystem.
Under certain circumstances, ptrace-ing a process could lead to a NULL pointer dereference and kernel panic.
* CVE-2012-1090: Denial of service in the CIFS filesystem reference counting.
Under certain circumstances, the CIFS filesystem would open a file on lookup. If the file was determined later to be a FIFO or any other special file the file handle would be leaked, leading to reference counting mismatch and a kernel OOPS on unmount.
An unprivileged local user could use this flaw to crash the system.
- regset: Return -EFAULT, not -EIO, on host-side memory fault (H. Peter Anvin) CVE-2012-1097
- regset: Prevent NULL pointer reference on readonly regsets (H. Peter Anvin) CVE-2012-1097
- cifs: fix dentry refcount leak when opening a FIFO on lookup (Jeff Layton) CVE-2012-1090
- block: Fix io_context leak after failure of clone with CLONE_IO (Louis Rilling) CVE-2012-0879
SolutionUpdate the affected unbreakable enterprise kernel packages.