Oracle Linux 4 : kernel (ELSA-2007-0774)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 67556
SynopsisThe remote Oracle Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionFrom Red Hat Security Advisory 2007:0774 :
Updated kernel packages that fix several security issues and bugs in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 kernel are now available.
This security advisory has been rated as having moderate security impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.
The Linux kernel handles the basic functions of the operating system.
These new kernel packages contain fixes for the security issues described below :
* a flaw in the ISDN CAPI subsystem that allowed a remote user to cause a denial of service or potential remote access. Exploitation would require the attacker to be able to send arbitrary frames over the ISDN network to the victim's machine. (CVE-2007-1217, Moderate)
* a flaw in the perfmon subsystem on ia64 platforms that allowed a local user to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2006-0558, Moderate)
In addition, the following bugs were addressed :
* a panic after reloading of the LSI Fusion driver.
* a vm performance problem was corrected by balancing inactive page lists.
* added a nodirplus option to address NFSv3 performance issues with large directories.
* changed the personality handling to disallow personality changes of setuid and setgid binaries. This ensures they keep any randomization and Exec-shield protection.
All Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 users are advised to upgrade their kernels to the packages associated with their machine architectures and configurations as listed in this erratum.
SolutionUpdate the affected kernel packages.