Oracle Linux 5 : kernel (ELSA-2007-0347)
High Nessus Plugin ID 67495
SynopsisThe remote Oracle Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionFrom Red Hat Security Advisory 2007:0347 :
Updated kernel packages that fix security issues and bugs in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 kernel are now available.
This update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.
The Linux kernel handles the basic functions of the operating system.
These new kernel packages contain fixes for the following security issues :
* a flaw in the handling of IPv6 type 0 routing headers that allowed remote users to cause a denial of service that led to a network amplification between two routers (CVE-2007-2242, Important).
* a flaw in the nfnetlink_log netfilter module that allowed a local user to cause a denial of service (CVE-2007-1496, Important).
* a flaw in the flow list of listening IPv6 sockets that allowed a local user to cause a denial of service (CVE-2007-1592, Important).
* a flaw in the handling of netlink messages that allowed a local user to cause a denial of service (infinite recursion) (CVE-2007-1861, Important).
* a flaw in the IPv4 forwarding base that allowed a local user to cause an out-of-bounds access (CVE-2007-2172, Important).
* a flaw in the nf_conntrack netfilter module for IPv6 that allowed remote users to bypass certain netfilter rules using IPv6 fragments (CVE-2007-1497, Moderate).
In addition to the security issues described above, fixes for the following have been included :
* a regression in ipv6 routing.
* an error in memory initialization that caused gdb to output inaccurate backtraces on ia64.
* the nmi watchdog timeout was updated from 5 to 30 seconds.
* a flaw in distributed lock management that could result in errors during virtual machine migration.
* an omitted include in kernel-headers that led to compile failures for some packages.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 users are advised to upgrade to these packages, which contain backported patches to correct these issues.
SolutionUpdate the affected kernel packages.