Oracle Linux 4 : sendmail (ELSA-2007-0252)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 67480
SynopsisThe remote Oracle Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionFrom Red Hat Security Advisory 2007:0252 :
Updated sendmail packages that fix a security issue and various bugs are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
This update has been rated as having low security impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.
Sendmail is a very widely used Mail Transport Agent (MTA). MTAs deliver mail from one machine to another. Sendmail is not a client program, but rather a behind-the-scenes daemon that moves email over networks or the Internet to its final destination.
The configuration of Sendmail on Red Hat Enterprise Linux was found to not reject the 'localhost.localdomain' domain name for e-mail messages that came from external hosts. This could have allowed remote attackers to disguise spoofed messages (CVE-2006-7176).
This updated package also fixes the following bugs :
* Infinite loop within tls read.
* Incorrect path to selinuxenabled in initscript.
* Build artifacts from sendmail-cf package.
* Missing socketmap support.
* Add support for CipherList configuration directive.
* Path for aliases file.
* Failure of shutting down sm-client.
* Allows to specify persistent queue runners.
* Missing dnl for SMART_HOST define.
* Fixes connections stay in CLOSE_WAIT.
All users of Sendmail should upgrade to these updated packages, which contains backported patches to resolve these issues.
SolutionUpdate the affected sendmail packages.