Scientific Linux Security Update : 389-ds-base on SL6.x i386/x86_64
Low Nessus Plugin ID 65977
SynopsisThe remote Scientific Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionIt was found that the 389 Directory Server did not properly restrict access to entries when the 'nsslapd-allow-anonymous-access' configuration setting was set to 'rootdse'. An anonymous user could connect to the LDAP database and, if the search scope is set to BASE, obtain access to information outside of the rootDSE. (CVE-2013-1897)
This update also fixes the following bugs :
- Previously, the schema-reload plug-in was not thread-safe. Consequently, executing the schema-reload.pl script under heavy load could have caused the ns-slapd process to terminate unexpectedly with a segmentation fault. Currently, the schema-reload plug-in is re-designed so that it is thread- safe, and the schema-reload.pl script can be executed along with other LDAP operations.
- An out of scope problem for a local variable, in some cases, caused the modrdn operation to terminate unexpectedly with a segmentation fault. This update declares the local variable at the proper place of the function so it does not go out of scope, and the modrdn operation no longer crashes.
- A task manually constructed an exact value to be removed from the configuration if the 'replica-force-cleaning' option was used. Consequently, the task configuration was not cleaned up, and every time the server was restarted, the task behaved in the described manner.
This update searches the configuration for the exact value to delete, instead of manually building the value, and the task does not restart when the server is restarted.
- Previously, a NULL pointer dereference could have occurred when attempting to get effective rights on an entry that did not exist, leading to an unexpected termination due to a segmentation fault. This update checks for NULL entry pointers and returns the appropriate error. Now, attempts to get effective rights on an entry that does not exist no longer causes crashes, and the server returns the appropriate error message.
- A problem in the lock timing in the DNA plug-in caused a deadlock if the DNA operation was executed with other plug-ins. This update moves the release timing of the problematic lock, and the DNA plug-in does not cause the deadlock.
After installing this update, the 389 server service will be restarted automatically.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.