SynopsisThe remote Unix host has an application that is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe version of Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 installed on the remote host is affected by multiple security issues :
- A vulnerability in the XML processing module of the JRE could allow an untrusted applet/application unauthorized access to certain URL resources (238628).
- A buffer overflow vulnerability in the font processing module of the JRE, could allow an untrusted applet/ application to elevate its privileges to read, write and execute local applications with the privileges of the user running an untrusted applet (238666). Note this issue only affects Sun Java JDK/JRE 5 Update 9 and earlier.
- A buffer overflow vulnerability in Java Web Start, could allow an untrusted applet to elevate its privileges to read, write and execute local applications available to users running an untrusted application (238905).
- A vulnerability in Java Web Start, could allow an untrusted application to create or delete arbitrary files subject to the privileges of the user running the application (238905).
- A vulnerability in Java Web Start, may disclose the location of Java Web Start cache (238905).
- A vulnerability in Sun Java Management Extensions (JMX) could allow a JMX client running on a remote host to perform unauthorized actions on a host running JMX with local monitoring enabled (238965).
- A vulnerability in the JRE could allow an untrusted applet/application to elevate its privileges to read, write and execute local applications with the privileges of the user running an untrusted applet (238967).
- A vulnerability in the JRE may allow an untrusted applet to establish connections to services running on the localhost and potentially exploit vulnerabilities existing in the underlying JRE (238968).
SolutionUpdate to Sun Java JDK and JRE 5 Update 16 or later and remove, if necessary, any affected versions.
File Name: sun_java_jre_5_16_unix.nasl
Configuration: Enable thorough checks
Supported Sensors: Nessus Agent
Required KB Items: Host/Java/JRE/Installed
Exploit Ease: Exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 7/8/2008
CVE: CVE-2008-3103, CVE-2008-3104, CVE-2008-3105, CVE-2008-3106, CVE-2008-3107, CVE-2008-3108, CVE-2008-3111, CVE-2008-3112, CVE-2008-3113, CVE-2008-3114, CVE-2008-3115
BID: 30140, 30143, 30147, 30148, 30146, 30141, 30142