SynopsisThe remote Red Hat host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionUpdated kernel packages that fix various security issues and several bugs are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1 Extended Update Support.
The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having moderate security impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base scores, which give detailed severity ratings, are available for each vulnerability from the CVE links in the References section.
The kernel packages contain the Linux kernel, the core of any Linux operating system.
This update fixes the following security issues :
* The proc file system could allow a local, unprivileged user to obtain sensitive information or possibly cause integrity issues.
* Non-member VLAN (virtual LAN) packet handling for interfaces in promiscuous mode and also using the be2net driver could allow an attacker on the local network to cause a denial of service.
* A missing validation flaw was found in the Linux kernel's m_stop() implementation. A local, unprivileged user could use this flaw to trigger a denial of service. (CVE-2011-3637, Moderate)
* A flaw was found in the Linux kernel in the way splitting two extents in ext4_ext_convert_to_initialized() worked. A local, unprivileged user with the ability to mount and unmount ext4 file systems could use this flaw to cause a denial of service.
* A NULL pointer dereference flaw was found in the way the Linux kernel's key management facility handled user-defined key types. A local, unprivileged user could use the keyctl utility to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2011-4110, Moderate)
Red Hat would like to thank Kees Cook for reporting CVE-2011-1020;
Somnath Kotur for reporting CVE-2011-3347; and Zheng Liu for reporting CVE-2011-3638.
This update also fixes several bugs. Documentation for these changes will be available shortly from the Technical Notes document linked to in the References section.
Users should upgrade to these updated packages, which contain backported patches to correct these issues, and fix the bugs noted in the Technical Notes. The system must be rebooted for this update to take effect.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.