Scientific Linux Security Update : tzdata enhancement update on SL5.x, SL6.x i386/x86_64
High Nessus Plugin ID 63071
SynopsisThe remote Scientific Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThis update adds the following enhancements :
- On October 24 2012, the Jordanian Cabinet rescinded a 2012-10-14 instruction to switch from daylight saving time (DST) to standard time on 2012-10-26. Instead, Jordan will remain on local DST (ITC +3) for the 2012-2013 Jordanian winter.
- Cuba, which was scheduled to move back to standard time on 2012-11-12, switched to standard time on 2012-11-04.
- In Brazil, the North Region state, Tocantins, will observe DST in 2012-2013. This is the first time Tocantins has observed DST since 2003. By contrast, Bahia, a Northeast Region state, will not observe DST in 2012-2013. Like Tocantins, Bahia stopped observing DST in 2003. Bahia re-introduced DST on October 16 2011. On October 17 2012, however, Bahia Governor, Jaques Wagner, announced DST would not be observed in 2012, citing public surveys showing most Bahia residents were opposed to it.
- Israel has new DST rules as of 2013. DST now starts at 02:00 on the Friday before the last Sunday in March. DST now ends at 02:00 on the first Sunday after October 1, unless this day is also the second day of (Rosh Hashanah). In this case, DST ends a day later, at 02:00 on the first Monday after October 2.
- The Palestinian territories, which were scheduled to move back to standard time on 2012-09-28, switched to standard time on 2012-09-21.
- Although Western Samoa has observed DST for two consecutive seasons (2010-2011 and 2011-2012), there is no official indication of DST continuing according to a set pattern for the foreseeable future. On 2012-09-04, the Samoan Ministry of Commerce, Industry, and Labour announced Samoa would observe DST from Sunday, 2012-09-30 until Sunday 2012-04-07.
This update has been placed in the security tree to avoid timezone related problems such as ntp sync errors.
SolutionUpdate the affected tzdata and / or tzdata-java packages.