Mandrake Linux Security Advisory : kernel (MDKSA-2000:012)
High Nessus Plugin ID 61810
SynopsisThe remote Mandrake Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionPOSIX 'Capabilities' have recently been implemented in the Linux kernel. These 'Capabilities' are an additional form of privilege control to enable more specific control over what privileged processes can do. Capabilities are implemented as three (fairly large) bitfields, which each bit representing a specific action a privileged process can perform. By setting specific bits, the actions of priviliged processes can be controlled -- access can be granted for various functions only to the specific parts of a program that require them. It is a security measure.
Important: If you use ReiserFS, please don't forget to do as following after the upgrade :
- If you used MandrakeUpdate or rpm -Uvh to upgrade, reinstall kernel 2.2.15 from native Mandrake 7.1
- Type: cd /lib/modules/2.2.15-4mdk
- Type: /sbin/depmod -a
- Type: mkinitrd -f --ifneeded /boot/initrd-2.2.16-9mdk 2.2.16-9mdk
- You can now remove the older 2.2.15. Type: rpm -e kernel-2.2.15
- Type: ln -sf /boot/initrd-2.2.16-9mdk /boot/initrd.img
- Type: ln -sf /boot/System.map-2.2.16-9mdk /boot/System.map
- Type: ln -sf /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-9mdk /boot/vmlinuz
- In /etc/lilo.conf add: initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.16-9mdk
- Type: lilo -v
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.