New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 6
SynopsisThe remote Scientific Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe kernel packages contain the Linux kernel, the core of any Linux operating system.
This update fixes the following security issues :
- Using PCI passthrough without interrupt remapping support allowed Xen hypervisor guests to generate MSI interrupts and thus potentially inject traps. A privileged guest user could use this flaw to crash the host or possibly escalate their privileges on the host.
The fix for this issue can prevent PCI passthrough working and guests starting.(CVE-2011-1898, Important)
- A flaw was found in the way CIFS (Common Internet File System) shares with DFS referrals at their root were handled. An attacker on the local network who is able to deploy a malicious CIFS server could create a CIFS network share that, when mounted, would cause the client system to crash. (CVE-2011-3363, Moderate)
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw was found in the way the Linux kernel's key management facility handled user-defined key types. A local, unprivileged user could use the keyctl utility to cause a denial of service.
- A flaw in the way memory containing security-related data was handled in tpm_read() could allow a local, unprivileged user to read the results of a previously run TPM command. (CVE-2011-1162, Low)
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw was found in the Linux kernel's HFS file system implementation. A local attacker could use this flaw to cause a denial of service by mounting a disk that contains a specially crafted HFS file system with a corrupted MDB extent record. (CVE-2011-2203, Low)
- The I/O statistics from the taskstats subsystem could be read without any restrictions. A local, unprivileged user could use this flaw to gather confidential information, such as the length of a password used in a process. (CVE-2011-2494, Low)
This update also fixes several bugs and adds one enhancement.
The system must be rebooted for this update to take effect.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.