Scientific Linux Security Update : gfs2-utils on SL5.x i386/x86_64
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 60653
SynopsisThe remote Scientific Linux host is missing a security update.
DescriptionMultiple insecure temporary file use flaws were discovered in GFS2 user level utilities. A local attacker could use these flaws to overwrite an arbitrary file writable by a victim running those utilities (typically root) with the output of the utilities via a symbolic link attack. (CVE-2008-6552)
This update also fixes the following bugs :
- gfs2_fsck now properly detects and repairs problems with sequence numbers on GFS2 file systems.
- GFS2 user utilities now use the file system UUID.
- gfs2_grow now properly updates the file system size during operation.
- gfs2_fsck now returns the proper exit codes.
- gfs2_convert now properly frees blocks when removing free blocks up to height 2.
- the gfs2_fsck manual page has been renamed to fsck.gfs2 to match current standards.
- the 'gfs2_tool df' command now provides human-readable output.
- mounting GFS2 file systems with the noatime or noquota option now works properly.
- new capabilities have been added to the gfs2_edit tool to help in testing and debugging GFS and GFS2 issues.
- the 'gfs2_tool df' command no longer segfaults on file systems with a block size other than 4k.
- the gfs2_grow manual page no longer references the '-r' option, which has been removed.
- the 'gfs2_tool unfreeze' command no longer hangs during use.
- gfs2_convert no longer corrupts file systems when converting from GFS to GFS2.
- gfs2_fsck no longer segfaults when encountering a block which is listed as both a data and stuffed directory inode.
- gfs2_fsck can now fix file systems even if the journal is already locked for use.
- a GFS2 file system's metadata is now properly copied with 'gfs2_edit savemeta' and 'gfs2_edit restoremeta'.
- the gfs2_edit savemeta function now properly saves blocks of type 2.
- 'gfs2_convert -vy' now works properly on the PowerPC architecture.
- when mounting a GFS2 file system as '/', mount_gfs2 no longer fails after being unable to find the file system in '/proc/mounts'.
- gfs2_fsck no longer segfaults when fixing 'EA leaf block type' problems.
SolutionUpdate the affected gfs2-utils package.