Scientific Linux Security Update : kernel on SL4.x i386/x86_64
High Nessus Plugin ID 60448
SynopsisThe remote Scientific Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThese updated packages fix the following security issue :
- a possible kernel memory leak was found in the Linux kernel Simple Internet Transition (SIT) INET6 implementation. This could allow a local unprivileged user to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2008-2136, Important)
As well, these updated packages fix the following bugs :
- a possible kernel hang on hugemem systems, due to a bug in NFS, which may have caused systems to become unresponsive, has been resolved.
- an inappropriate exit condition occurred in the architecture-specific 'mmap()' realization, which fell into an infinite loop under certain conditions. On 64-bit systems, this issue may have manifested itself to users as a soft lockup, or process hangs.
- due to a bug in hardware initialization in the 'ohci_hcd' kernel module, the kernel may have failed with a NULL pointer dereference. On 64-bit PowerPC systems, this may have caused booting to fail, and drop to xmon. On other platforms, a kernel oops occurred.
- due to insufficient locks in task termination code, a panic may have occurred in the 'sys_times()' system call on SMP machines.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.