Scientific Linux Security Update : openssh on SL4.x i386/x86_64
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 60306
SynopsisThe remote Scientific Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionA flaw was found in the way the ssh server wrote account names to the audit subsystem. An attacker could inject strings containing parts of audit messages which could possibly mislead or confuse audit log parsing tools. (CVE-2007-3102)
A flaw was found in the way the OpenSSH server processes GSSAPI authentication requests. When GSSAPI authentication was enabled in OpenSSH server, a remote attacker may have been able to determine if a username is valid. (CVE-2006-5052)
The following bugs were also fixed :
- the ssh daemon did not generate audit messages when an ssh session was closed.
- GSSAPI authentication sometimes failed on clusters using DNS or load-balancing.
- the sftp client and server leaked small amounts of memory in some cases.
- the sftp client didn't properly exit and return non-zero status in batch mode when the destination disk drive was full.
- when restarting the ssh daemon with the initscript, the ssh daemon was sometimes not restarted successfully because the old running ssh daemon was not properly killed.
- with challenge/response authentication enabled, the pam sub-process was not terminated if the user authentication timed out.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.