Fedora 17 : asterisk-10.3.1-1.fc17 (2012-6704)
High Nessus Plugin ID 59002
SynopsisThe remote Fedora host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThe Asterisk Development Team has announced security releases for Asterisk 1.6.2, 1.8, and 10. The available security releases are released as versions 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, and 10.3.1.
These releases are available for immediate download at http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases
The release of Asterisk 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, and 10.3.1 resolve the following two issues :
- A permission escalation vulnerability in Asterisk Manager Interface. This would potentially allow remote authenticated users the ability to execute commands on the system shell with the privileges of the user running the Asterisk application.
- A heap overflow vulnerability in the Skinny Channel driver. The keypad button message event failed to check the length of a fixed length buffer before appending a received digit to the end of that buffer. A remote authenticated user could send sufficient keypad button message events that the buffer would be overrun.
In addition, the release of Asterisk 220.127.116.11 and 10.3.1 resolve the following issue :
- A remote crash vulnerability in the SIP channel driver when processing UPDATE requests. If a SIP UPDATE request was received indicating a connected line update after a channel was terminated but before the final destruction of the associated SIP dialog, Asterisk would attempt a connected line update on a non-existing channel, causing a crash.
These issues and their resolution are described in the security advisories.
For more information about the details of these vulnerabilities, please read security advisories AST-2012-004, AST-2012-005, and AST-2012-006, which were released at the same time as this announcement.
For a full list of changes in the current releases, please see the ChangeLogs :
http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/ChangeLo g-18.104.22.168 http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/ChangeLo g-22.214.171.124 http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/ChangeLo g-10.3.1
The security advisories are available at :
- http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-00 5.pdf
- http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-00 6.pdf
Update to 126.96.36.199 Update to 188.8.131.52, which fixes 2 security vulnerabilities.
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the Fedora security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionUpdate the affected asterisk package.