Apache Tomcat 5.5.x < 5.5.34 Multiple Vulnerabilities
High Nessus Plugin ID 56301
SynopsisThe remote web server is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionAccording to its self-reported version number, the instance of Apache Tomcat 5.5.x listening on the remote host is prior to 5.5.34. It is, there, affected by multiple vulnerabilities :
- Several weaknesses were found in the HTTP Digest authentication implementation. The issues are as follows: replay attacks are possible, server nonces are not checked, client nonce counts are not checked, 'quality of protection' (qop) values are not checked, realm values are not checked and the server secret is a hard-coded, known string. The effect of these issues is that Digest authentication is no stronger than Basic authentication. (CVE-2011-1184, CVE-2011-5062, CVE-2011-5063, CVE-2011-5064)
- An error handling issue exists related to the MemoryUserDatabase that allows user passwords to be disclosed through log files. (CVE-2011-2204)
- An input validation error exists that allows a local attacker to either bypass security or carry out denial of service attacks when the APR or NIO connectors are enabled. (CVE-2011-2526)
- A component that Apache Tomcat relies on called 'jsvc' contains an error in that it does not drop capabilities after starting and can allow access to sensitive files owned by the super user. Note this vulnerability only affects Linux operating systems and only when 'jsvc' is compiled with libpcap and the '-user' parameter is used. (CVE-2011-2729)
- Specially crafted requests are incorrectly processed by Tomcat and can cause the server to allow injection of arbitrary AJP messages. This can lead to authentication bypass and disclosure of sensitive information. Note this vulnerability only occurs when the org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler AJP connector is not used, POST requests are accepted, and the request body is not processed.(CVE-2011-3190)
Note that Nessus has not tested for these issues but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpgrade to Apache Tomcat version 5.5.34 or later.