VMware Products Multiple Vulnerabilities (VMSA-2011-0009)
High Nessus Plugin ID 54996
SynopsisThe remote host has a virtualization application affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionA VMware product (Player or Workstation) detected on the remote host has multiple vulnerabilities in the Host Guest File System :
- An attacker with access to a Guest operating system can determine if a path exists in the Host filesystem and whether it's a file or a directory regardless of permissions. (CVE-2011-2146)
- A race condition in mount.vmhgfs may allow an attacker with access to a Guest to mount on arbitrary directories in the Guest filesystem and escalate their privileges if they can control the contents of the mounted directory.
- A procedural error allows an attacker with access to a Solaris or FreeBSD Guest operating system to gain write access to an arbitrary file in the Guest filesystem.
These vulnerabilities only affect non-Windows guest operating systems.
SolutionUpgrade to :
- VMware Workstation 7.1.4 or later.
- VMware Player 3.1.4 or later.
In addition to patching, VMware Tools must be updated on all non- Windows guest VMs in order to completely mitigate certain vulnerabilities. Refer to the VMware advisory for more information.