SynopsisThe remote Debian host is missing a security-related update.
DescriptionSeveral vulnerabilities have been discovered in the Linux kernel that may lead to a denial of service, sensitive memory leak or privilege escalation. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project identifies the following problems :
- CVE-2009-3939 Joseph Malicki reported that the dbg_lvl sysfs attribute for the megaraid_sas device driver had world-writable permissions, permitting local users to modify logging settings.
- CVE-2009-4027 Lennert Buytenhek reported a race in the mac80211 subsystem that may allow remote users to cause a denial of service (system crash) on a system connected to the same wireless network.
- CVE-2009-4536 CVE-2009-4538 Fabian Yamaguchi reported issues in the e1000 and e1000e drivers for Intel gigabit network adapters which allow remote users to bypass packet filters using specially crafted ethernet frames.
- CVE-2010-0003 Andi Kleen reported a defect which allows local users to gain read access to memory reachable by the kernel when the print-fatal-signals option is enabled. This option is disabled by default.
- CVE-2010-0007 Florian Westphal reported a lack of capability checking in the ebtables netfilter subsystem. If the ebtables module is loaded, local users can add and modify ebtables rules.
- CVE-2010-0291 Al Viro reported several issues with the mmap/mremap system calls that allow local users to cause a denial of service (system panic) or obtain elevated privileges.
- CVE-2010-0298 & CVE-2010-0306 Gleb Natapov discovered issues in the KVM subsystem where missing permission checks (CPL/IOPL) permit a user in a guest system to denial of service a guest (system crash) or gain escalated privileges with the guest.
- CVE-2010-0307 Mathias Krause reported an issue with the load_elf_binary code on the amd64 flavor kernels that allows local users to cause a denial of service (system crash).
- CVE-2010-0309 Marcelo Tosatti fixed an issue in the PIT emulation code in the KVM subsystem that allows privileged users in a guest domain to cause a denial of service (crash) of the host system.
- CVE-2010-0410 Sebastian Krahmer discovered an issue in the netlink connector subsystem that permits local users to allocate large amounts of system memory resulting in a denial of service (out of memory).
- CVE-2010-0415 Ramon de Carvalho Valle discovered an issue in the sys_move_pages interface, limited to amd64, ia64 and powerpc64 flavors in Debian. Local users can exploit this issue to cause a denial of service (system crash) or gain access to sensitive kernel memory.
SolutionUpgrade the linux-2.6 and user-mode-linux packages.
For the stable distribution (lenny), this problem has been fixed in version 2.6.26-21lenny3.
For the oldstable distribution (etch), these problems, where applicable, will be fixed in updates to linux-2.6 and linux-2.6.24.
Note: Debian carefully tracks all known security issues across every linux kernel package in all releases under active security support.
However, given the high frequency at which low-severity security issues are discovered in the kernel and the resource requirements of doing an update, updates for lower priority issues will normally not be released for all kernels at the same time. Rather, they will be released in a staggered or 'leap-frog' fashion.
The following matrix lists additional source packages that were rebuilt for compatibility with or to take advantage of this update :
stable/lenny user-mode-linux 2.6.26-1um-2+21lenny3
File Name: debian_DSA-1996.nasl
Supported Sensors: Agentless Assessment, Frictionless Assessment Agent, Nessus Agent, Nessus
CPE: cpe:/o:debian:debian_linux:5.0, p-cpe:/a:debian:debian_linux:linux-2.6
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/Debian/release, Host/Debian/dpkg-l
Exploit Ease: Exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 2/12/2010
Vulnerability Publication Date: 11/16/2009
CVE: CVE-2009-3939, CVE-2009-4027, CVE-2009-4536, CVE-2009-4538, CVE-2010-0003, CVE-2010-0007, CVE-2010-0291, CVE-2010-0298, CVE-2010-0306, CVE-2010-0307, CVE-2010-0309, CVE-2010-0410, CVE-2010-0415
BID: 37519, 37523, 37019, 37170, 37724, 37762, 38027, 38058, 38144, 37906